Last week, the 2022 Halliday Wine Companion Awards returned via an online broadcast, virtually celebrating the victors of the major awards and varietal categories.
Wine-loving viewers from across Australia and the globe tuned in to learn the deserving winemakers, viticulturists, wineries and wines honoured as the 2022 Halliday Wine Companion Awards recipients.
This year the tasting panel was comprised of regional specialists across five states, with the team expanding to seven. For the first time, the awards were judged collaboratively by the entire tasting team, coming together in Victoria in March to review the shortlist produced from over 9,000 Australian wines. The tasting panel set a record with 60 per cent more new wineries reviewed for this edition than last year.
The 2022 Halliday Wine Companion Awards also saw the inaugural Viticulturist of the Year announced, taking the major awards to a total of seven categories alongside nineteen varietal winners. This included a new format for the Sparkling category, where three winners for the same varietal were announced.
Celebrating Australian wine following a challenging year, the event shone a light on wineries and industry professionals who demonstrated courage, passion and determination to strengthen the Australian wine industry.
The awards also marked the release of the wine-enthusiast’s bible, the “2022 Halliday Wine Companion,” now available in all good bookstores for $39.95.
The book is a comprehensive guide to Australia’s leading wines, wineries, grape growing regions, includes all award winners and over 3,200 tasting notes. A full list of more than 9,100 tasting notes is available online at www.winecompanion.com.
A selection of this year’s award-winning wines are also available now to purchase via online wine retailers Vinomofo and United Cellars.
2022 Award Winners
- Winery of the Year – Yarra Yering, Yarra Valley, VIC
- Winemaker of the Year – Michael Dhillon – Bindi Wines, Macedon Ranges, VIC
- Wine of the Year –2019 Dry Red No. 1, Yarra Yering, Yarra Valley, VIC
- Best New Winery – Place of Changing Winds, Macedon Ranges, VIC
- Dark Horse – Renzaglia Wines, Central Ranges, NSW
- Best Value Winery – Lake Breeze, Langhorne Creek, SA
- Viticulturist of the Year – Vanya Cullen, Cullen Wines, Margaret River, WA
2022 Varietal Winners
- Sparkling of the Year – Deviation Road Beltana Blanc de Blancs 2014 – 97 points
- White Wine of the Year – Penfolds Yattarna Bin 144 Chardonnay 2018 – 99 points
- Red Wine of the Year – Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1 2019 – 98 points
- Sparkling White of the Year – Deviation Road Beltana Blanc de Blancs 2014 – 97 points
- Sparkling Rosé of the Year – Bellebonne Natalie Fryar Vintage Rosé 2017 – 96 points
- Sparkling Red of the Year – Ashton Hills Sparkling Shiraz 2015 – 95 points
- Riesling of the Year – Pooley Margaret Pooley Tribute Single Vineyard Riesling 2020 – 97 points
- Chardonnay of the Year (3 winners) – Oakridge 864 Drive Block Funder & Diamond Vineyard Chardonnay 2019 – 97 points
- Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2018 – 98 points
- Penfolds Yattarna Bin 144 Chardonnay 2018 – 99 points
- Semillon of the Year – Meerea Park Alexander Munro Individual Vineyard Aged Release Semillon 2011 – 96 points
- Sauvignon Blanc of the Year – Terre à Terre Crayeres Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2019 – 96 points
- Other White of the Year – Coriole Rubato Reserve Fiano 2020 – 96 points
- Rosé of the Year – La Prova Nebbiolo Rosato 2020 – 95 points
- Pinot Noir of the Year – Bindi Block 5 Pinot Noir 2019 – 97 points
- Grenache of the Year – Thistledown Sands of Time Old Vine Single Vineyard Blewitt Springs Grenache 2019 – 97 points
- Shiraz of the Year – Tyrrell’s 4 Acres Shiraz 2019 – 97 points
- Cabernet Shiraz of the Year – Yalumba The Caley Cabernet Shiraz 2016 – 99 points
- Cabernet Sauvignon of the Year – Yarra Yering Carrodus Cabernet Sauvignon 2019 – 98 points
- Cabernet and Family of the Year – Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1 2019 – 98 points
- Other Red of the Year – SC Pannell Aglianico 2019 – 95 points
- Fortified of the Year – Seppeltsfield 100-Year-Old Para Vintage Tawny 1921 – 99 points