Aquamin F, a naturally derived seaweed mineral, was evaluated as a calcium fortification agent in a 10% fat ice cream application against a non-fortified control in an independent study carried out by Leatherhead Food International.
Overall, it was concluded that the differences between the control and test ice creams were small and that Aquamin F was suitable as a calcium fortification agent in ice cream.
Potential advantages of incorporation of Aquamin F in ice cream included:
• Calcium fortification
• Firmer texture than the control
• Good mouthfeel characteristics
• No visible ice crystal formation after heat¬shock in comparison with control
• Smooth appearance
• Acceptable flavour characteristics
• Slower melting characteristics
For further information, click here.