Coconut drink blamed for boy’s death

A Sydney-base importer of coconut milk, Narkena Pty Ltd has pleaded guilty to three labelling and packaging charges in a sentence hearing this week after a 10-year old boy died from an anaphylactic shock.

The NSW Food Authority prosecuted the importer who recalled the Greentime Natural Coconut Drink in 2013, with Narkena business manager Perry Wu confirming a lack of specific testing.
It found that the drink was falsely labelled and sold in a manner that contravened the Food Standards Code and could be charged $10,000 on each account.

NSW president of Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia, Maria Said says she was dismayed that it had taken two years for similar products to be investigated, even after the coconut milk blamed for the boy’s death was found to contain cow’s milk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *