Europe’s drinks industry saw a drop of 18.8 per cent in overall deal activity during Q2 2020, when compared to the four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
A total of 26 deals worth $50.47m were announced for the region during Q2 2020, against the last four-quarter average of 32 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in Q2 2020 with 17, representing a 65.4 per cent share for the region.
In second place was M&A with nine deals, representing a 34.6% share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, venture financing was the leading category in Europe’s drinks industry with $41.36m, followed by M&A deals totalled $9.11m.
Europe drinks industry deals in Q2 2020: Top deals
The top five drinks deals accounted for 67.6% of the overall value during Q2 2020.
The combined value of the top five drinks deals stood at $34.11m, against the overall value of $50.47m recorded for the quarter.
The top five drinks industry deals of Q2 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Felix Capital Partners, Five Seasons Ventures, Fonterra Ventures and New Ground Ventures’ $15.99m venture financing of YFood Labs
- The $9.11m acquisition of Rude Health Foods by PepsiCo
- Crowdberry and Slovak Investment Holding’s $6.62m venture financing of GymBeam
- The $1.26m venture financing of Sullivans Brewing by Enterprise Ireland
- Bpifrance and Generis Capital Partners’ venture financing of MyBrazil Factory for $1.13m.