After months of preparation by the Food mag team and weeks of anticipation for the finalists, the 2013 Food magazine awards was held at Sydney's Luna Park last Friday night, celebrating innovation and thought-leadership in the food and beverage manufacturing industry.
The Chaser boys once again had us in stitches as MC for the night, and a number of our finalists proved they were worthy of their finalist crown at the product showcase, with Old Time Brewing, Soma, The Right Food Group, CMActive and Gluten Free Grain Free (among others) getting involved with product samples or demonstrations.
Managing director of foods at Mondelez International, Darren O'Brien, was guest speaker, and used Kraft's failed launch of iSnack 2.0 as a case study of why food manufacturers need to listen to their customers. Now that the company has recovered from this PR disaster, which saw the spread renamed as Cheesymite, the focus has shifted focus back to the iconic Vegemite spread, which this year is celebrating its 90th anniversary. Vegemite is already in 96 percent of Australia's pantries, so the name of the game for the brand isn't to try to get consumers to purchase the spread, but rather to use it more.
After entrees were served, the awards presentation kicked off, with winners in the awards' 14 categories praised for continuing to innovative and fill gaps in the market, despite the tough conditions many manufacturers in Australia are enduring at the moment.
The big winner for the night was functional food company, Morlife, winning the Confectionery and Snack Foods category and also being named Best of the Best.
Next year will be the 10th anniversary for the Food magazine awards, so please put your thinking caps on and help us come up with some amazing ideas!
2013 Food magazine award winners
- BEVERAGES – Rebello – Cheeky Rascal Cider (new varietals)
- DAIRY – Five:am Life – Organic Powerpak and Smoothy Range
- BAKED GOODS – Bakers Delight – Chia and Fruit Loaf
- READY MEALS – Passage Foods – Passage to India Pumpkin Curry
- CONFECTIONERY – Morlife – Morlife Snakes
- HEALTH AND WELLNESS – Gluten Free Grain Free – Cakes Premixes
- FOOD SAFETY AND INNOVATION IN NON-FOOD – Dyson – Airblade Tap
- ORGANICS – The Right Food Group – Organic Noodle Kitchen – Asian Noodle Range
- MEAT AND SMALLGOODS – Creative Food Solutions – Grab and Go Hot Country Roasts
- SNACK FOODS – Morlife – Choc-Coated Golden Berries
- SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING – CST Wastewater Solutions – Chok Chai Starch Raptor
- PREPARED FOODS – Springhill Farm – The Real Bread Mix
- PACKAGING DESIGN – CMActive – Torus Pak
- INGREDIENT INNOVATION – Co YO Corporate – Co Yo Coconut Milk Ice Cream Alternative
- BEST OF THE BEST – Morlife