Mum sues Monster energy drink over son’s death

The mother of a 19 year old boy who died from cardiac arrhythmia last year is suing Monster Beverage Corp, claiming her son would still be alive if it wasn't for his energy drink habit.

Alex Morris died on July 1, 2012 and a lawsuit filed in Alameda County Superior Court alleges Morris wouldn't have died if you didn't drink two cans of Monster energy drink every day for the three years before his death.

According to the Huffington Post, Morris' mother, Paula Morris, is the case's plaintiff.

This isn't the first time Monster has been faced with legal action. The family of a 14 year old, Annais Fournier, last year sued the company after the young girl died after consuming two 24 ounce cans of the drink.

Attorney Alexander Wheeler said "Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's the peoples deaths were caused by these energy drinks and, more specifically, the defendants failure to warn about the dangers."

In response to the Fournier case, Monster claimed that no blood test had been performed to confirm  the girl had died of caffeine toxicity, as claimed in the lawsuit, instead arguing she had died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions.


Send this to a friend