North America’s packaging industry saw a rise of 59 per cent in overall deal activity during Q4 2020, when compared to the four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
A total of 51 deals worth $1.46bn were announced for the region during Q4 2020, against the last four-quarter average of 32 deals. Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in Q4 2020 with 38, representing a 74.5 per cent share for the region. In second place was private equity with 12 deals, followed by venture financing deals with one transactions, respectively capturing a 23.5 per cent and 2 per cent share of the overall deal activity for the quarter. In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s packaging industry with $1.45bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $12.6m and $7m, respectively.
North America packaging industry deals in Q4 2020: Top deals
The top five packaging deals accounted for 99.1 per cent of the overall value during Q4 2020.
The combined value of the top five packaging deals stood at $1.45bn, against the overall value of $1.46bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five packaging industry deals of Q4 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Roth CH Acquisition I’s $1.2bn acquisition of PureCycle Technologies
- The $232m acquisition of PalletOne by UFP Industries
- DAIWA Myanmar Growth Fund L.P and Myanmar Opportunities Fund II’s $12.6m private equity deal with Commercial Plastics
- The $7m venture financing of Ecovative Design by Andrew Abraham and Gary Hirshberg
- Bennyrestaurant’s acquisition of AecopaQ for $0.23m