Foodbank, Australia’s largest food relief organisation, is launching its largest ever campaign, Food Fight, to help feed the thousands of Australians that go hungry every day – and those in need are not just who you'd think.
Low-income families are the biggest group seeking food relief. The latest Foodbank Hunger Report shows that 516,000 Australians now rely on food relief from Foodbank’s agencies each month, with over a third of recipients being children.
As food insecurity in Australia continues to worsen, demand for food relief is outpacing supply. Each month over 60,000 of the Australians seeking food relief are unable to be assisted. Over two thirds of agencies supporting low-income families are unable to meet the full demand for food relief.
Food Fight is the result of a partnership between Foodbank and some of Australia’s most iconic household brands including Kellogg's breakfast cereals, Helga’s and Wonder White, SPC baked beans & spaghetti and Ardmona tomatoes, Primo Smallgoods, Moccona and Harris coffees and Vetta Pasta. Throughout the month of August, when a Food Fight product is purchased, a food donation will be made to Foodbank to help fight hunger in Australia.
Jason Hincks, Chief Executive Officer of Foodbank Australia, said, “The Australians going hungry aren’t just on the street, they’re in your street. According to the majority of welfare agencies, low income families, single parent families and the unemployed are most in need of assistance.”
To show your support for the Food Fight campaign, visit your local supermarket and purchase a Food Fight item that includes:
- Kellogg's – All specially marked cereals, including Corn Flakes and Sultana Bran
- SPC Ardmona – SPC Baked Beans range, SPC Spaghetti range & Ardmona Rich and Thick Classic Tinned Tomatoes
- Goodman Fielder – All specially marked loaves of Helga's and Wonder White
- Rinoldi Pasta – Vetta Pasta range
- Primo – Shaved Honey Leg Ham, Thinly Sliced Turkey Breast and Thinly Sliced Hungarian Salami
- DE Master Blenders – Moccona Instant Classic Medium Roast varieties and Harris Espresso Ground Coffee varieties