As part of Food magazine’s final newsletter for 2013, we bring you a list of the most read stories from foodmag.com.au
At the top of the list is a story we published on the Queensland government increasing its stocking densities for free range chickens from 1,500 birds per hectare to 10,000 birds. Stories regarding the ethical treatment of animals and transparency surrounding marketing claims were frequent this year, and while they didn’t quite make the top 10, readers were keen to keep up-to-date on developments in the live exports trade and penalties imposed on brands that were less than honest in their marketing claims, including Pepe’s, Luv-a-Duck and Baiada Poultry.
Food’s readers were shocked to read that the much-loved biscuit brand, Byron Bay Cookie Company entered voluntary administration in March, however the company was quickly snapped up by pasta manufacturer Rinoldi, and is now back to fulfilling orders and even launching new products, with its Anzac biscuit being named a finalist in the Baked Goods category of this year’s Food Magazine Awards.
Speaking of the awards, this year’s program was a huge success with functional food company, Morlife, taking out the Confectionery and Snack Foods categories, as well as the Best of the Best award. Held at Luna Park’s Crystal Ballroom, the industry loved the opportunity to catch-up with colleagues and fellow industry members, while learning about and sampling some of the finalists across the awards’ 13 categories.
Entries are now open for the 2014 awards, the 10th anniversary of the popular event, so click here to submit your nomination.
Below is a list of the 10 top stories from Food magazine’s website for the year. The team here at Food mag looks forward to bringing you all the latest headlines in the food manufacturing sector in 2014. If you don’t already receive our newsletter, you can sign up here, and if you’d like to receive the hard copy, which is printed bimonthly, click here. You can also keep up to date on the latest industry news by following us on Twitter (@foodmagaus) or liking us on Facebook.
Top 10 stories for 2013
- QLD government increases free range densities by 667 percent
- Byron Bay Cookie Co crumbles, supplier: "I could smell a rat"
- Monsanto herbicide linked to cancer and Parkinson’s
- New facility gives Garlo's a bigger slice of the pie market
- ‘Up & Go claims are healthy’, Sanitarium hits back at Choice
- Reporting systems to blame for writedown, TWE
- The five bottlenecks in Australia's wine industry
- The great palm oil debate: how the consumer turned an industry on its head
- Global warming is causing apples to lose crunch: study
- Finalists revealed: Food mag awards